Just think: people generally use five to 15 different personal care products, introducing 100+ individual ingredients into their bodies each day. If they fail to do due diligence, at least some of those ingredients are most likely toxic, potentially leading to hormonal disruption, skin irritation, and a number of other health issues.
Finding beauty and skincare products that are free from toxic chemicals is extremely important because such ingredients are easily absorbed into your skin and quickly find their way into your bloodstream.
And remember, just because something says”natural”or”paraben-free”on the label doesn’t mean it is safe or eco-friendly. Even if you think that one or two harmful chemicals may not have a lasting effect, the scientific concept of body burden shows us that the sum of all the toxic chemicals that have accumulated in our bodies over time can wreak havoc long-term. Some of those chemicals have synergistic effects, creating an even worse toxin when combined, contributing to serious health effects.
Non-Toxic Skincare Should Contain None of These Red Flags
- Parabens: A wide variety of skin care products include preservatives that are added to inhibit bacteria and mold growth. As endocrine system disruptors, parabens are extremely dangerous and are linked to reproductive and developmental issues, as well as cancer. Keep in mind that labels are tricky… parabens can be listed as some of the following: methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, and ethylparaben.
- Formaldehyde:This toxic chemical is a colorless, flammable gas that is widely used as a preservative in skin and beauty products. Formaldehyde is known as a human carcinogen and can trigger allergic skin reactions.
- Phthalates: This nasty ingredient is known as an endocrine disruptor linked to breast cancer and reproductive birth defects in males and females.
- Fragrance:Used in nearly 50% of beauty products, fragrance can be a mix of hundreds of undisclosed toxic chemicals including phthalates. The key takeaway here is that the ingredient listed as “fragrance” includes many other harmful chemicals included under the umbrella of that label. So, while they may smell nice, they have no place in non-toxic skincare products.
- Sulfates: Some of the most commonly used sulfates are called sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) and sodium laureth sulfate (SLES), known to strip away valuable moisture and protective barriers, thus irritating the skin.
- Polyacrylamide: Banned in Europe but allowed in the U.S., this dangerous toxin is found in many moisturizers, anti-aging products, and body lotions. Known to cause reproductive and developmental toxicity, this chemical can break down into acrylamide, which is a carcinogen. Keep your eyes open as this toxin is also known as acrylamide, polyacrylate, polyquaternium, and acrylate.
What to Look for in Non-Toxic Skincare Products
Plant-Based, Organically Grown, and Third-Party Tested
Now that you have learned what ingredients to stay away from, it’s time to discover the qualities that clean, non-toxic skin care products have.
- Plant-based - Not all plants offer equal levels of potency or cleanliness (a topic we’ll explore below). However, knowing that an ingredient started from the soil is a good first step to finding non-toxic skincare products.
- Organically grown - Once you establish that the product is plant-based, the next step is to confirm that the ingredients are organically-grown. If yes, the formula you introduce to your skin and in your body does not contain pesticides and harmful fertilizers, making the product truly non-toxic.
- Third-party tested - It’s easy for a skincare company to slap “non-toxic” and “clean” on their products, but it’s another thing to prove it. For this reason, reputable skincare companies should conduct third-party independent lab testing to verify the quality and contents of each product. A Certificate of Analysis (COA) showing the results of the lab test should be accessible for each product you purchase, verifying that you are getting the quality you pay for.
- Simple formulas - While there are plenty of exceptions, formulas consisting of dozens of different ingredients will have fillers that water down the potency. Therefore, seek simple formulas with recognizable ingredients.
Examples of Non-Toxic, Plant-Based Skincare Ingredients
There are hundreds of non-toxic skincare ingredients worthy of recognition. However, the latest plant-based ingredient to grab the attention of the dermatology world is CBD.
Derived from hemp, CBD is a widely celebrated ingredient for anti-aging and skin-healing products due to its high levels of antioxidants which neutralize free radical damage, protect against UV damage, and boost collagen and elastin production. Including anti-inflammatory properties, CBD is also helpful in reducing swelling, pain, and redness caused by acne breakouts, or skin conditions like psoriasis and eczema.
Additional non-toxic skincare ingredients widely celebrated include:
Indulge in Non-Toxic Skincare Products With Botanika Life
Botanika Life products are vegan and organically grown in the United States. Choosing CBD products made from organically grown and harvested hemp gives you the peace of mind that what you put on your skin and in your body does not contain pesticides and harmful fertilizers. Your highest priority when purchasing CBD products is verifying that they contain clean, safe, and high-quality ingredients, all of which we verify with our published third-party lab results.
Elite Elixir: With 1500mg of full-spectrum CBD and organic hemp seed oil, you can put a few drops of this all-purpose Elite Elixir under your tongue to aid in relaxing your body and mind. As if that’s not enough, you can also apply it to your skin for anti-aging and rejuvenating results. With powerful ingredients and effective results, the Elite Elixir produces numerous other benefits including easing anxiety, stabilizing mood, and decreasing your aches and pains.
Vitamin C & Skin Elixir: This CBD-infused antioxidant-rich serum targets dark spots, reduces signs of aging, and gives your skin a luminous boost. Producing soft and subtle skin, your complexion will benefit from using clean, natural ingredients.
Plant Stem Cell Skin Elixir: Supercharged with botanicals and plant stem cells, this skin elixir provides nourishment and age-defying results leaving you with reduced wrinkles, lines, and skin discoloration. The Plant Stem Cell Skin Elixir uses the purest Marula oil and full-spectrum CBD to provide lasting outcomes.
By Emily Wegener
With a unique background as an Integrative Nutrition Health Coach, Masters Degree in Teaching and experience in Psychology, Emily spends much of her time researching and trying out new holistic healing modalities.