Skin is far from simple; what is beneficial for one complexion may not be ideal for another, and what our skin needs morphs over time. Therefore, the skincare world is consistently exploring new ingredients. The latest to be the talk of “the town” is plant stem cells.
In this article, we’ll explore this buzzed about ingredient so you can determine if plant stem cell products may be good for your skin. Alternatively, check out our Plant Stem Cell Skin Elixir.
What does “plant stem cells” mean when used in skincare serums?
Generally speaking, stem cells are cells within a multicellular organism that have yet to decide what type of cell they will become. In plants, these cells are mostly in the meristem, where growth takes place. These stem cells help the plant regenerate when flowers or branches break off or die. In fact, plant stem cells have better antioxidant properties than human stem cells because they have to survive extreme weather conditions and natural disasters.
For the most part, stem cells included in skin and beauty products are cultivated in laboratories, which allows the stem cells to mature without environmental dangers like pollution and pesticides. This type of procedure is also a more sustainable method, as it uses less water and waste. The material that ultimately goes into any beauty or skin care product that uses the laboratory method is not technically alive, but the extracts from the stem cells are pure and highly beneficial for many reasons.
Why Plant Stem Cells are Good For Skin
- Plant stem cells help retain moisture to hydrate the skin, and keep it looking plump and radiant.
- They help firm the appearance of skin. This is because of the plant stem cells’ ability to stimulate the production of collagen, which helps keep the skin smooth. In addition, the stem cells boost the already natural production of amino acids and hormones that keep the skin at its best.
- Plant stem cells minimize discoloration and hyperpigmentation. This is achieved by providing the amino acids that have been shown to inhibit the production of certain elements that contribute to hyperpigmentation, sunspots, and other skin discolorations and pigmentations.
- They include antioxidant-rich elements. Antioxidantsare molecules that help fight the proliferation of free radicals which otherwise abound in plant stem cells. In humans, free radicals can contribute to many ailments like diabetes and heart disease, and are unstable molecules that can cause damage to the body’s cells (including in the skin). In turn, antioxidants promote cell youth and health.
This elixir has 1000mg of full spectrum CBD oil, along with plant stem cells and marula oil. Our recommendation for optimal results is to apply this plant stem cell elixir daily before bed. What’s more, it can be layered under other skincare products. Though plant stem cells are a major ingredient in this product, it’s not the only one present which is good for your skin. Not yet convinced? You can test it out for yourself with our mini-sized alternative.
Keep reading to learn more about the advantages of the other active ingredients.
What is marula oil?
Marula oil is extracted from the kernels inside the marula fruit that grow on trees native to parts of southern Africa. The oil is rich in protein, an essential ingredient for hair and nail growth and skin health. It’s lightweight enough to be absorbed quickly and effortlessly, which makes it perfect for moisturizing, hydrating, and nourishing skin. While there is no evidence that it can mitigate skin conditions like eczema or psoriasis, it can definitely provide relief from the itching and irritation that come with flare-ups of both.
Marula oil also has antimicrobial properties, a key point, because many products that claim to be antimicrobial have alcohol included (which takes moisture from the skin). This allows the oil to help eliminate bacteria and clogging that can contribute to several types of acne.
What are the beneficial aspects of marula oil?
Marula oil contains several highly beneficial components for healthy skin:
- Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins, hormones, and neurotransmitters. Marula oil specifically contains the amino acids L-arginine, and glutamic acid. These are hydrating and help to slow down the aging of cells.
- Fatty acids, often known as omega-3, omega-6, and omega-9 are found in many foods such as seafood, fish, and nuts. However, marula oil contains powerful palmitic, stearic, oleic and myristic acids in one location that provide emollient and moisturizing boons.
- Antioxidants, such as phenolic compounds, and vitamins E and C are found within marula oil, and there’s evidence that they can help reduce and protect against UV and pollution damage to the skin.
If you’re curious to learn more about this specific ingredient, read Compare Skincare Ingredients, Vitamin C, Squalane, Marula Oil & More.
What are the benefits of CBD?
CBD also has a collection of extremely beneficial properties, particularly when it comes to skin and beauty care.
- Antioxidant-rich means that CBD also fights the proliferation of free radicals, UV damage, and environmental irritants. An added bonus is that CBD can boost collagen and elastin production, of which the body’s natural production wanes as a person ages. These two elements are important in keeping the skin looking plump and youthful, bouncing back from rapid changes, and healing from skin scarring conditions like stretch marks, cellulite, and fine lines.
- Anti-inflammation is a crucial aspect of CBD that not only aids in pain and irritation relief, but also assists in the other external signs of skin conditions like eczema, psoriasis, rosacea, and acne.
- Oil and sebum regulation is another feature of CBD, as it can utilize the CB1 and CB2 receptors in the endocannabinoid system to affect many different regulatory characteristics the body performs. When too much oil or sebum is produced, it can create acne and other acne-related issues, like blackheads and clogged pores.
Why choose Botanika Life?
Benny Shabtai founded Botanika Life upon the principle of creating clean botanicals for everyday life. All of the products manufactured by Botanika Life are plant-based and vegan-friendly. With an eye toward sustainable cultivation and extraction processes, Botanika Life still makes sure their ingredients are pesticide-free, paraben-free, and sourced in the US.
The full spectrum, organically grown CBD includes terpenes and other important compounds from the plant that create the entourage effect, meaning the CBD’s potency and efficacy are boosted. However, there is no significant amount of THC included, so the CBD is non-addictive, non-intoxicating, won’t cause overdose, and is safe for teens and athletes.
Botanika Life also participates in third-party, independent lab testing. The claims they make are proven through these tests, and readily available for customers. The goal is to have proven results with the utmost transparency, so you can trust the reliability and reputation of the company and the products.
Recommended Reading for Learning More About Skincare
To further educate yourself about powerful skincare ingredients beyond plant stem cells, we recommend the following articles: