When your muscles are tight and stiff, you want immediate relief. But prescription medications don’t magically know which muscles to target, and easing a neck or shoulder spasm should not necessitate impairing your entire central nervous system with sedating pain medications or muscle relaxers. Thankfully CBD is a natural anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxant that works topically through the body’s own endocannabinoid system to inhibit the release of the neurotransmitters that cause muscle rigidity and spasms to occur. Depending on how you choose to administer the CBD, you can enjoy full-body tension release or more targeted muscle relaxation (or even both).
YES, CBD HELPS RELAX MUSCLES TO RELIEVE SPASMS AND TIGHTNESS
More and more, people are turning to full-spectrum CBD pain relief products to alleviate muscle strain and spasms. CBD offers a natural, safe, and non-invasive way to reduce pain and relax the muscles. More importantly, it does so without any alarming side effects.
To understand how CBD works, it’s important to first introduce you to the endocannabinoid system. As one of the primary regulatory systems in the human body, it helps maintain homeostasis by communicating with the other regulatory systems. Endocannabinoids and their receptors are found everywhere, including the brain, organs, glands, and tissues, as well as in the skin cells. It is through the endocannabinoid receptors in the skin that topical CBD, also known as transdermal CBD, enters the system.
When your muscles are in spasm, it means your body is out of balance, causing your endocannabinoid system to work harder in order to help your body return to its homeostatic state. The introduction of CBD from an external source, such as a topical CBD anti-inflammatory, can immediately help the body achieve the pain-free level of homeostasis it desires. This happens because:
RECOMMENDED CBD PRODUCTS FOR RELAXING MUSCLES
Depending on your desired outcome, CBD can be taken orally or topically. As a muscle relaxant, we recommend taking CBD topically so it can penetrate and interact with the muscle directly. When applied directly to the affected areas, CBD effectively calms localized muscle spasms, tension, and inflammation.
Full-spectrum CBD is a powerful muscle relaxer and pain reliever, but it is even more potent when it is blended with other active ingredients, such as lidocaine, menthol, and arnica. That is why Botanika Life offers a full line of CBD products blended with soothing botanicals to calm and relax your muscles while helping eliminate the stress that contributes to muscle tension.
- Ultra-Relief Muscle Pain Rub with CBD. This muscle-focused salve contains over 1500 mg of full-spectrum CBD. This concentrated formula delivers immediate and significant relief for muscle spasms from the moment it is absorbed by your skin. It comes with our signature chrome spatula, so you can spoon the formula right onto your hands. Once you warm it by rubbing your palms together, it can be massaged directly into the strained muscle area for instant relaxation and relief.
- Pain Relief Roller with CBD, Lidocaine, and Menthol. This is a portable and powerful pain relief roll-on that provides a clean, easy, and hands-free way to help immediately alleviate muscle pain and spasms. With anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties, this blend of CBD, lidocaine, and menthol is a mess-free and convenient way to relax the specific muscles that are hurting.
OTHER PRODUCTS WHICH WILL HELP RELIEVE MUSCLES SPASMS AND TENSION
- Cryo Massage Roller. You can use this tool by itself or accompanied by one of the above CBD treatments for the ultimate relief for muscle spasms or tension. Place the cryo massage roller in the freezer, let it reach chilly temperatures, and then roll it on top of the troubled area.
- CBD Bath Bombs. We’d be remiss not to mention the soothing properties of a nice warm bath enriched with a luxury CBD bath bomb. Not only can the hot water encourage healthy circulation and full-body relaxation, but the plant-based bath bombs will invite the pain-relieving properties of CBD to enter the body through inhalation and the skin.
"Botanika products are a superior product that my clients and I are using to help expedite the healing process. As a Chiropractor and Strength Coach that works with a variety of athletes, these products have been super helpful for clients to provide a boost in their recovery process both in and outside of the clinic!" -- Jeremy Scott Dinkin, Owner/Chiropractor at RSM Sports Medicine & Rehab
WHAT TO CONSIDER WHEN FINDING CBD PRODUCTS FOR RELAXING MUSCLE SPASMS
CBD stands for cannabidiol, and it is one of the many compounds that come from the cannabis plant. Unlike THC, which is the compound that makes people feel high, CBD does not have an impairing effect. Therefore, it can be taken orally or topically to increase overall health and wellness, decrease anxiety, improve sleep, relax muscles, and decrease inflammation and pain.
As is true for all plant-based ingredients, many factors contribute to the quality of CBD.
The first thing we suggest you seek out is a muscle relaxant that uses full-spectrum CBD. After the leaves and flowers of cannabis plants are harvested and dried, they undergo processing to extract CBD. An oil that only includes cannabidiol is a CBD isolate. But a CBD oil that also includes all the terpenes, cannabinoids, chemical compounds, and phytocannabinoids including Cannabigerol (CBG) and Cannabinol (CBN). It also contains a minuscule amount of THC (a concentration of 0.3% or less), an amount so little that it’s legal in the United States and won’t produce a psychoactive effect.
The chemical compounds found in full-spectrum CBD work together to produce what’s called the entourage effect, which means they work more effectively together than when a single cannabinoid is isolated. Full-spectrum CBD oil also requires less processing, because all the compounds are kept together, rather than pulling out just the CBD extract.
While CBD is not harmful, the degree of benefit that you derive from it depends on the quality of the hemp, as well as the way the product is harvested and formulated. Do not purchase any CBD muscle relaxant and pain relief products without first investigating the source of the plants, the extraction process, and the formula. More specifically, consider:
- Is this muscle relief product made with full-spectrum CBD?
- Is the CBD sourced from organically grown hemp? Is it free of pesticides and grown in the USA?
- Does the company utilize third-party lab testing? Can I see those results?
- Are the products organic, vegan, and never tested on animals?
For an example of a CBD company that prioritizes transparency and quality, look no further than Botanika Life. All our muscle relaxants and pain relief products are gluten-free, sustainable, natural, cruelty-free, clean, safe, 3rd party lab-tested, and made in the USA.
WHY CONSIDER CBD INSTEAD OF IBUPROFEN AND ASPIRIN FOR MUSCLE SPASMS & PAIN
We can’t talk about relief for muscle spasms without talking about the elephant in the room, NSAIDs like ibuprofen and aspirin. While many of us are conditioned to reach for the bottle when we experience an ache, do we even know what we’re putting in our bodies?
Understand that NSAIDs are non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. When an injury impairs your cells, they release prostaglandins to alert the system through pain. When you take an NSAID, it works by preventing injured cells from making prostaglandins, which in turn makes the pain less severe. However, these NSAIDs can be extremely harmful to the digestive system. Frequent use can affect the digestive tract, causing ulcers, stomach irritation, and/or reflux.
HOW CAN I PREVENT MUSCLE PAIN FROM HAPPENING IN THE FIRST PLACE?
CBD is not the only way to keep muscle pain at bay. To keep your muscles strong and spasm-free, also consider the following:
- Engaging with a personal trainer to learn proper form for exercising
- Stretching before intense workouts
- Drinking plenty of water to prevent muscle spasms associated with dehydration.
- Giving your body time to recover by working out different muscles when working out back-to-back
- Choosing foods that help combat inflammation. These include:
- Cherry juice
- Foods rich in Vitamin D such as eggs and fish
- Foods rich in Magnesium, such as bananas and almonds
WHY TRUST BOTANIKA LIFE FOR MUSCLE-RELAXING CBD PRODUCTS
Botanika Life is committed to seeing you live your best life – and you cannot do that when you are living with pain. If you are suffering from occasional or chronic muscle spasms, tension, or pain, CBD can help.
We employ only the best ingredients (verified through public-facing third-party lab testing results) and proudly create formulas that use only all-natural, plant-based ingredients. What’s more, we’re a company built on passion, experience, and a commitment to our customers. In fact, if our products don’t provide the desired muscle pain relief and relaxing properties, we’ll reimburse you within 30 days of your purchase.