If you’re planning your next vacation, you may want to include your CBD products in your suitcase. Your first question may be: is is legal to bring CBD on a plane? Good news, CBD products specifically, are allowed to be transported via airplane from state to state. However, that shouldn’t be your only concern.
Read on below for the details about flying with CBD to make sure you have the smoothest travel experience possible.
Can You Bring CBD Onto Plane for Trips Within the US
First, the standard TSA rules apply when travelling with liquids, aerosols, gels, creams, or pastes on flights. CBD oils, tinctures and elixirs are included in this category, and in carry-on luggage, you must have less than 3.4 ounces. Fit all the products you have that qualify into a clear, resealable, quart-sized bag, as outlined by TSA standards. This bag should include your regular travel products as well, like perfume, toothpaste, lotion, etc.
Look for travel-sized versions of the products you already use, so everything is already contained in the proper receptacles, or buy clear reusable containers. Prioritize the products you really need while away, because all of your carry-ons need to fit into a quart-sized transparent bag. And remember, if you are buying reusable containers, you must stay under the 3.4 oz TSA requirement for individual carry-on storage. Larger containers are allowed in checked luggage. But, why not have a collection of trial/travel size to save room either way?
Travel-sized CBD products perfect for flying include:
- The Illuminating Mini Skin Elixir Trio. Each bottle is only .20 oz, and includes the Vitamin C Skin Elixir, the Elite Elixir, and the Plant Stem Cell Skin Elixir. The result? A complete CBD skin care routine while on vacation or a business trip that you can easily take with you on the plane. To learn more about the benefits, read CBD Elixirs - Buy and Learn Their Many Benefits.
- Jet Pack - You read that, Botanika Life designed a CBD product specifically for plane rides. This pack contains a .5 oz each bottle of Sleep and Immune. Along with a full-spectrum CBD oil, Sleep incorporates melatonin, an antioxidant and natural sleep aid, with magnesium, which encourages relaxation and reduces stress.
Immune has key ingredients Vitamin C, Zinc, and a full-spectrum CBD oil. Both Vitamin C and Zinc support the immune system and help protect against infection.
- The Mini Pain Relief Roller. Sized to be handy and easy to stash in a pocket, this CBD product stays within TSA requirements. This handy CBD roller provide effective pain relief for everyday aches, as well as sore muscles and discomfort that comes from sitting in cramped plane seats. Take note, there's also a larger CBD pain relief roller that, at 3 oz, also meets the requirements for you to bring on the plane in your carry-on luggage.
Do Vape Devices Follow the Same Rules as CBD Liquids and Creams When Flying Within the USA?
There are some specific rules for CBD vaping devices and their associated batteries. Vapes MUST be packed in carry-on luggage, they cannot be checked under any circumstance. If your vape contains a lithium-ion battery, be sure to check that the watt-hour rating is 100 or less. If your vape uses a lithium metal battery, it must have no more than 2 grams of lithium. Make sure you check with the airline you are travelling with, for any specific vape device requirements, as well. Some airlines have limitations on the number that can be in your carry-on.
Can You Bring CBD Onto Planes for International Trips
Please be sure to check all of the countries you are travelling within, because laws regarding flying with CBD products can differ throughout the world. It would be best to know the requirements, not just of the places of your arrival and departure, but of any place you may spend time in, even just for travel transfers.
Some of the countries where you will not be able to carry your CBD products in Europe include: Iceland, Monaco, Montenegro, and Belgium. In Asia, there are prohibitions in place in China, Cambodia, Vietnam, and India. Also of note, in Japan full-spectrum CBD is banned. Additionally, we suggest that you leave your CBD products at home if you are travelling anywhere in Africa or the Middle East.
Tips for Road-Tripping With CBD Products
When travelling between states within America, there aren’t the same security check concerns that arise with air travel. However, it’s always a good idea to transport your CBD products in their original containers. If you don’t have the original decanters, use reusable, clear containers. Print out the ingredient lists and keep them handy, or affix them to the container. Do keep in mind though, it is NOT required to declare CBD products when stopped by the police, while travelling by car.
Another practical tip is to keep an eye on the interior temperature of your car while travelling and taking long stops. Hot temperatures for long periods of time can reduce the shelf life of your CBD.
Feel Your Best During Your Travels With CBD from Botanika Life
The build up to travel, especially when flying, can be quite stressful. Making sure you have some relief is really important, and that’s why being able to transport your CBD products with you is key.
- CBD has muscle relaxing and anti-inflammation properties to help minimize pain. So if you’re sore after walking the length of the airport carrying your luggage, the right CBD product will bring almost immediate relief to joints and muscles. For more tips, read How CBD Can Help Neck & Shoulder Pain.
- CBD can have a calming effect without impairing judgement. Flying can be a nervewracking experience, one which causes many adults to indulge in an extra glass of red wine at the airport bar. In turn, their faculties are impaired when they may need to be sharp! CBD is a healthier way to decompress without any intoxicating effects.
- CBD skincare products can hydrate and protect your complexion from free radicals and other harmful elements. Combine the fast-paced nature of traveling with the plane’s air, and you may have a recipe for a breakout or similar skincare issue. CBD elixirs are easy to apply, nourish your skin, and lessen external effects.
BY STACEY SHABTAI, CO-FOUNDER OF BOTANIKA LIFE