No need to slow down as you tick off the years. Adopt these healthy tips to maintain an active lifestyle no matter your age.
People over 40 report looking and feeling better than they ever have before! Their secret? Making the time to stay active! But an active and healthy style is about more than simply hitting the gym a few times a week… living well over 40 means taking the time to take care of yourself, so that you can better take care of who and what matter most to you. Below are 10 minor adjustments you can make to help stay active so that you can continue to look and feel great for years to come.
Below are 10 minor adjustments you can make to help stay active so that you can continue to look and feel great for years to come.
1) Get Restorative Sleep. There is a reason that sleep deprivation is identified as a form of torture. Without proper sleep people can feel unfocused, unhealthy, and unable to function effectively. While there are many prescription and over the counter sleep aids available, many of these contain powerful sedatives that leave people feeling groggy or impaired the next day. Look for all natural sleep aids that contain ingredients such as magnesium and melatonin, as well all-natural CBD and essential oils to help you fall asleep easily and naturally without addictive side effects.
2) Quality Input = Quality Output. When you put good things in your body your body will give good things back to you. Energy will be increased, inflammation will be decreased, and your skin, nails and hair will be stronger and healthier. Organic ingredients prevent harmful pesticides, chemicals, and GMOs from entering your system. Yet while most people know to look for organic ingredients in the food they eat, they are not always equally aware of the quality of the ingredients in the products they use. The skin is the largest organ in the human body, and the ingredients in products applied topically are ultimately absorbed and introduced into your system. Always look for all-natural and organic lotions, creams and salves.
3) Get A Move On. You don’t need a personal trainer or expensive equipment, just the desire to maintain your body and your health. Take the time to warm up to prevent injuries and choose physical activities that you enjoy. Vary your workout program and duration to prevent boredom and muscle fatigue. Taking a walk on the beach or a hike with friends are cost-free and low-impact ways to take care of your body so your body will take care of you. Activities like swimming that are easy on the joints but still offer the long-term cardiovascular benefits, while core strengthening exercises enhance stability, flexibility, and balance. Remember, a healthy lifestyle is not only about how you look and feel today, it is also about maintaining your body so it can continue to serve you for years to come.
4) Muscle Through It. Research shows that after the age of 40, people lose approximately 8% of their muscle mass every decade. This is because as we get older, our metabolism slows down and our hormone levels change. Now is the time to introduce light weight bearing exercises and resistance training to your fitness routine. Increasing your intake of lean and plant-based proteins is another way you can help protect and maintain your muscle mass going forward.
5) Ask the Experts. Before jumping into any new fitness routine, be sure to check with your doctor. Knowing your cholesterol level, blood sugar, and blood pressure can help you make informed decisions about your exercise regimen and will help you to increase the frequency and intensity of your workouts safely. You should also avoid fad diets, and meet with a nutritionist or registered dietician before making any drastic changes or eliminating essential food groups. Consulting with a personal trainer or taking an exercise class is another way to maintain accountability and ensure you are using proper form and technique, which is critical to avoiding overexertion and injury.
6) Hydrate. You have heard it for years, but it is still true. Drinking lots of water and moisturizing your skin will drastically reduce the physical signs of aging. Many products now include CBD and powerful antioxidants to reduce fine lines and wrinkles to make you look and feel younger. Your 40s is the time to nurture yourself… inside and out.
7) Make Small Changes. Embarking on an active lifestyle can be daunting. If you aren’t ready to run a 5K, try taking the stairs instead of the elevator. Meet up with friends for a walk instead of for coffee, or plant some flowers in the garden this weekend. Research has shown that small amounts of exercise have a significant impact on health and longevity. Shorter bouts of physical activity also help build endurance, so that you will eventually be able to progress and participate in longer exercise programs. The important thing to keep in mind is that any activity is better than none at all, and increasing your movement in small incremental ways can add up to a big impact.
8) No Gain from Pain. After 40, feeling tired and sore is no longer a badge of honor. Aches and pains are not only unpleasant; they are also unnecessary. While you should still push yourself physically, you should also allow yourself to completely heal and recover. Rather than turn to dangerously addictive pain medication, choose all-natural ways to relieve pain such as cryo-massage, and look for topical pain relief products that blend ingredients such as lidocaine, menthol, arnica, and CBD to reduce inflammation and combat pain.
9) Manage Stress. When you have too much to do, it seems counterintuitive to take time out for yourself, but taking time to address your own needs will enable you to manage everything else you need to do much more effectively. Whether it is yoga, meditation, journaling or exercising, be certain to take time every day to prioritize not only your physical health, but your mental health as well. Introduce fragrances such as eucalyptus and lavender to your environment for a calming effect. Taking just 20 minutes for a relaxing bath can ultimately add hours of productivity to your week.
10) Focus on the big picture. An active and healthy lifestyle is about more than just looking great. It is about staying healthy and pain free both for yourself and for the people you love. By moving your body every day, maintaining a healthy weight, managing stress, and being cognizant about the products and ingredients you choose, you can keep yourself looking and feeling great - inside and out - for years to come.