Let’s talk about rosacea. Firstly, this is a fairly common skin condition with more than 16 million people in the US, alone, being affected by it. It’s an inflammatory condition that is caused by the body’s immune system responding to stimuli. It can be triggered by any number of things including stress, diet, and environmental factors. Rosacea presents as extreme flushing or blushing on the face, usually across the cheeks and nose. Sometimes, small pus-filled bumps can also appear, and be mistaken for another common skin condition: acne.
More women and AFAB individuals are affected by rosacea than men and AMAB individuals, and the likelihood of developing rosacea climbs as you age beyond your thirties.
Unfortunately, there’s no real way to prevent rosacea from happening completely. However, treatments that include antibiotic and anti-inflammatory properties can reduce the appearance of the redness and bumps that may show as a result of a rosacea flare-up. However, prescription treatments run the risk of causing allergic reactions, and the overuse of antibiotics may cause you to develop a resistance to its advantages.
For these reasons, more and more people with rosacea are turning to CBD for its anti-inflammatory benefits. It’s gentle enough for sensitive skin yet powerful enough to deliver real results.
How does CBD lessen the visibility of rosacea?
CBD interacts with both the immune and nervous systems through the endocannabinoid system, where the CBD bonds or interacts with the CB1 and CB2 receptors that have a hand in regulating these systems. The immune system is extremely important in combatting rosacea because the condition is a direct result of the immune system reacting to certain spurs.
In this way, CBD contributes four main properties that are not just weapons against the symptoms of rosacea but help with keeping the skin healthy and clear in general.
- Anti-Inflammation: CBD is a fantastic anti-inflammatory agent. When it bonds to the receptors that help regulate the immune system, CBD keeps immune reactions in check. The body should and does create immune responses to many different stimuli, both internal and external. However, as more dangerous environmental stimulants, viruses, and bacteria become more endemic in everyday life, the immune system is bombarded with signals to shield or fight back against unknown invaders, and can sometimes get signals crossed.
Inflammation can be mistaken for the symptom of something being wrong, but it is actually the immune system’s response, not the cause of illness or ailment. The goal should be to regulate these responses, so the body attains homeostasis, and CBD does this job very well.
- Anti-Microbial: What is anti-microbial? This is a feature that is often found in skincare and beauty products because being anti-microbial means the product will help protect against bacteria and other microbes that could be harmful to the skin, as well as leave the skin and pores vulnerable to clogging and breakouts.
Unfortunately, alcohol is the go-to ingredient for anti-microbial claims, but it actually dries the skin out, and most people with sensitive skin tend to need to stay away from excessive alcohol content.This is where CBD can be an extremely beneficial ingredient, as it has anti-microbial properties, and still provides hydration and moisturization.
- Pain Relief: Because CBD works with receptors in all of the other regulatory systems, it can bond with receptors that regulate immune system responses, and these are often the cause of pain, especially when inflammation is involved. However, it can also bond with receptors that regulate the nervous system. Often, when acute pain or aches are felt, this is a result of messages passed along the nervous system that tell the brain to interpret something as unpleasant.
CBD has the ability to inhibit these interpretations, so pain like arthritis, headaches and migraines, and other joint and muscle pain is mitigated. When taken as a topical or sublingually, CBD can work almost immediately to soothe unique or even chronic pain complaints.
- Stress Relief: The body naturally contains an inhibitory neurotransmitter called gamma-aminobutyric acid, or GABA. This neurotransmitter works to regulate and reduce stress and anxiety. There is evidence that CBD can increase the levels of GABA, so the body is able to counteract physiological and psychosomatic stress responses that can be a trigger for any number of ailments, including skin conditions like rosacea, psoriasis, and eczema, or anxiety and anxiety-related disorders.
Choosing High-Quality CBD is Important for Rosacea
Keep in mind that some CBD products are inherently better than others. Make sure you’re treating your rosacea with high-quality serums by keeping an eye out for:
- “Clean” formulas that use organically grown plant-based ingredients. Steer clear of CBD oils that have unnecessary fillers. What’s more, the products should be free from pesticides and GMOs, ideally backed by third-party lab results. What’s more, we recommend people with rosacea use CBD harvested from hemp grown in the USA.
- Expired CBD products. Yes, CBD oil can go bad. While this may mean diminished potency, there’s also an increased risk of adverse reactions (especially when digested). Always be mindful of the expiration date on the product, as well as any suspicious smells or consistencies.
- Full-spectrum CBD is preferable. While other types like “CBD isolate” and “CBD broad spectrum” have their own merits, they aren’t as powerful as full-spectrum CBD. This is because the latter undergoes less processing, meaning it contains a wider diversity of cannabinoids and terpenes that bolster the CBD’s effects.
Botanika Life CBD Skincare for Individuals With Rosacea
Botanika Life’s products are all-natural and vegan, with third-party lab results to back up the claims. Rest assured that all of our skincare solutions are sulfate-free, paraben-free, non-GMO, and perfectly safe ingredients. Check out the following CBD products from Botanika Life that can reduce the signs of rosacea (and deliver other complexion-nourishing benefits).Elite Elixir: The Elite Elixir combines 1500mg of full spectrum CBD oil with an organic hemp seed oil, creating a serum clean enough to ingest. When topically applied, CBD helps to minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, inflammation, and hyperpigmentation. It also acts as a moisturizer, or even spot treatment.
Vitamin C Skin Elixir: Wake up your best skin with the Vitamin C Elixir that has 1000mg of full spectrum CBD oil, Vitamin C, and squalane. This last ingredient is rich in omega fatty acids and, together with Vitamin C and CBD oil, will be brighten, smooth, and firm your complexion.
Not only can Unblemished be used directly to areas affected by acne and rosacea, but it can also be applied daily to the face, neck, and chest to prevent future breakouts, or as a cleanser.
Skin Elixir Set: This set comprises of a 1oz travel or portable size version of each of the Elite Elixir, the Vitamin C Elixir, and the Plant Stem Cell Elixir, with the proprietary Botanika Life quartz crystal face roller. These three elixirs cover all angles when it comes to skin and beauty care. With ingredients that fight the signs of aging, help keep the skin clear, provide comfort from skin conditions like rosacea, and moisturize, there’s no downside to this set!